OPAL Primary Programme
The Outdoor Play and Learning Primary Programme
This academic year, we are starting our 18-month school development project to improve playtimes for all of our children with The OPAL Primary Programme; a mentor-supported school improvement programme which addresses all of the areas schools must plan for if they want to strategically and sustainably improve the quality of their play opportunities.
Thank you to everyone who has donated to our OPAL playground project. We have added some photos to show what's being going on. We have more exciting things planned, including a sailing dinghy and a sensory garden.
We are still looking for clean, no-longer wanted items that we can use, please see the list below.
Research has shown that children spend 20% of their time in school playing, that is equivalent to the time they spend in numeracy and literacy lessons. To ensure that this time and our fantastic school grounds are used to their full potential, our school has enlisted the support of OPAL.
The OPAL approach promotes a more inclusive play environment in which all children can feel comfortable to express themselves. You can find out more about OPAL and their philosophy here: https://outdoorplayandlearning.org.uk/
What are the benefits?
We believe that OPAL will help our children in many ways:
- To be more active; improving fitness, physical development, and co-ordination.
- Increase happiness
- Improve confidence, self-esteem, and self-awareness
- Increase productivity and concentration
- Improve communication skills; negotiation, problem solving and teamwork
- Improve independence, imagination, and creativity.
What is OPAL going to look like at BVPS?
This is a significant project for us to undertake and as such, we will be working with OPAL over the next 18 months. At the moment, we are in the early stages of our journey but want to keep you involved in our project and show you some amazing builds and brilliant players. Keep your eye out on this page for updates.
How can I help?
In the meantime, to get our journey started we need your help. If you are having a clear out and are in a position to donate, we are looking for the following items:
• Unwanted dress up outfits. Blazers, trousers or skirts with elasticated waists, dresses, bags etc.
• Bubbles, plastic buckets and spades, bowls and plates etc.
• Items for a mud kitchen i.e., pots, pans, large utensils
• Trowels – no forks please
• Cuddly toys and dolls
• Soft suitcases
• Small world toys and cars etc – including McDonald’s toys, etc
• Material i.e.: curtains, bedsheets, blankets.
Mr Carter has cordoned off an area under the shelter by the pirate ship/climbing frame for your donations. Our plan is then to sort through, and risk assess all items before introducing them to children through assemblies and then using them at playtimes.
If you work in a trade and/or have access to larger items such as tyres, crates, pallets, rubber or plastic pipes, hoses etc. then please get in touch with the office and our OPAL lead, Miss Casey, will get back to you.