Learning a foreign language provides an opening to other cultures. At Bournville Village Primary School, we use Language Angels teaching resources to support our teachers to plan and deliver French across school. Language Angels covers a wide variety of topics (including cross-curricular topics) with all instances of the foreign language pre-recorded using a native speaker to support pupil's in accurate pronunciation.
Our teaching of French aims to foster pupils' curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. We enable pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond, both in speech and in writing. We use a variety of teaching strategies to introduce the children to French in order to develop both ability and confidence. This will be taught using songs, stories and games throughout Key Stage 2.
In Key Stage 1, we will develop the foundations required for learning a language in KS2 by using simple greetings and phrases, as well as exposing pupils to numbers and letters, in French.
- To help the children enjoy and develop fluency and confidence in expressing themselves in another language through speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- To develop and extend the children’s language learning skills and knowledge making them want to learn further.
- To increase the children’s cultural awareness.
- To understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of sources.
- To speak with increasing fluency and spontaneity and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- To begin to write at varying length, for different audiences and purposes, using the variety of grammatical structures they have learnt.