The arrangements for the admission of disabled pupils
Definition of Disability
According to the Equality Act 2010, a person has a disability if:
a) He or she has a physical or mental impairment.
b) The impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
We aim to ensure all pupils, including those with disabilities, are fully included within school life.
Our strategies to do this include:
- having high expectations of all pupils
- adapting the curriculum, including the use of specialist equipment in sport
- planning out-of-school activities including all school trips and excursions so that students with disabilities can participate
- setting admissions policy and criteria which does not discriminate against students with disabilities or treat them unfairly
- teaching strategies which remove barriers to learning and enable participation for students with disabilities
- keeping in mind the needs of pupils with disabilities, when making any adjustments to the physical environment of the school
- raising awareness of disability amongst school staff (teaching and non-teaching) through training
- providing written information for pupils with disabilities in a form which is user friendly
- using language which does not offend in all its literature and make staff and students aware of the importance of language
- examining our library and reading books to ensure that there are examples of positive images of disabled people
- for pupils, and other stake holders who may access our site, personalised risk assessments are carried out and adaptations made to mitigate any risks identified
Existing facilities provided to assist access to the school by students with disabilities are:
- A wheelchair accessible entrance in all three of our buildings.
- Two disabled toilets, one located within George building (Key Stage 2) and another located within Cadbury building (Foundation Key stage)
- Disabled parking is available at the main entrance
- An external lift provides wheelchair access to the lower floor of George building (Key Stage 2), where our dining room and school library are located.
For more information on how we support pupils with specific special education needs and/or disabilities, please follow the links contained within our SEND Information Plan.